The media got it wrong: Bikeshare programs don’t increase head injuries – Vox

The media got it wrong: Bikeshare programs don’t increase head injuries – Vox

I have a controversial view on bicycle helmets myself, which the posting of this article should give you some idea about.

Lynn Bicycle Helmet Backpack Homecoming Drivew...
Lynn Bicycle Helmet Backpack Homecoming Driveway Trees (Photo credit: cdsessums)

I love the fact we have CoGo. As for the helmet thing, this is where I diverge a bit from other cyclists. I believe, as grown adults, we have the ability to make the decision to wear a helmet or not. I have seen people chastised for not wearing a helmet when on a CoGo bike, or just tooling on the path, or commuting to work. Personally, I ride with a helmet 90% of the time. The other 10%, I just want to feel the wind in what little hair I have. I want to show up without helmet hair. I want to enjoy riding my bicycle. If that includes a helmet or not, it’s my decision.

We shouldn’t criticize those who go without. We shouldn’t label them “non-cyclists” because as far as I’m concerned, if you ride a bike, you’re a cyclist to me. Going to the coffee shop, ice cream or frozen yogurt shop, I want to be relaxed. That may not include wearing a bicycle helmet.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s